When it comes to washing your hair extensions, it is important to take the proper steps to ensure you maintain the integrity of your hair. By washing your extensions properly you can ensure they last longer and stay looking fabulous for months on end.
Washing Your Hair Extensions: The Shampoo
The shampooing process slightly differs depending on what type of extensions you are wearing. Clip-ins are obviously the easiest to clean because they can be removed from your hair and thoroughly washed, however if you are wearing extensions that cannot be removed washing them takes a bit more skill and care. Regardless of what type of extensions you have, here are some basic guidelines to follow when it comes to washing your hair extensions.
Washing Your Hair Extensions: 10 Tips
- Begin by brushing and combing your hair to remove any tangles.
- Gradually add water to moisten the hair. If the hair is dry and you soak it with water, it can expand and create intense matting and tangles. This can lead to damage for the extensions.
- Comb or brush the hair as you moisten it to keep it from tangling.
- Add an appropriate amount of a shampoo made for extensions.
- Washing your hair extensions from the top down while gently working the shampoo into the strands will help greatly.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water, again working from the top down.
- Apply conditioner made for extensions, but avoid adding too much. Too much conditioner can cause build up that can lead to tangles.
- Wrap your hair in a towel and gently press the excess water out.
- Comb through your hair with a looped extension brush and air dry.
- You can always add Argan oil to keep your tresses smooth and silky.
Posted for GloExtensions by Taylor E. Hensel